We work on the development of new EOR techniques for carbonate fields with gas and water injection.
The EOR XTREM project seeks to improve fluid injection technologies in the extreme conditions of carbonate lithology fields.
How do we do it?
This project has two lines of research:
- Development of EOR techniques for carbonate fields with gas injection: we research how to enhance injection efficiency by focusing on saving valuable hydrocarbon gas by replacing it with CO2 or N2. We also develop technologies to avoid channeling injected gas, such as water alternating gas (WAG), and adding surfactants to generate a foam.
- Development of EOR techniques for carbonate fields with water injection: we research how to enhance production with gel treatment in highly permeable and fractured areas. We also study mechanisms for increasing crude oil production using surfactants and polymers.
In both lines of research, we work on tests and laboratory trials to select the most suitable products and create models to simulate technologies’ effects at the field level.
- We increased crude oil production in carbonate fields.
- We reduced the injection of hydrocarbon gas.
- We improved the efficiency of water injection by using the right chemicals.
Funded by the Spanish Center for the Development of Industrial Technology (CDTI), this project represents new advancements in the line of EOR research that the Cepsa Research Center has been working since 2010.